What can I do to prevent idling?
It’s easy to do your bit to reduce emissions. Simply avoid unnecessarily running your vehicle’s engine when you can.
If you’re likely to be at a standstill for more than a minute or so, switch off the engine. This will have a positive impact on air pollution levels and saves fuel. Many new cars are fitted with a stop-start feature that does this for you automatically. Make sure this is switched on in your vehicle.
You can also drive off as soon as possible when you first start the car. It will warm up faster when the engine is in use.
Could you switch your engine off in any of the common situations below?
- to warm the engine
- while waiting for passengers
- stopping at railway crossings
- waiting to park
- waiting at traffic lights for a minute or so
- sitting in heavy congestion
- running quick errands
- waiting to order at a drive-thru restaurant
- waiting to refuel or to have the car washed
- stopping to talk to a friend
- preparing to leave the house
- defrosting car windows