The charging Clean Air Zone launched 29 November 2021. A daily charge will be issued to some of the most polluting vehicles for driving in the zone. For the Portsmouth charging CAZ, this includes buses and coaches that:
If you’re not sure what Euro standard your vehicle is, please check your vehicle log book.
The zone is approximately 3km2, and will be located to the south west of Portsmouth.
Some non-compliant vehicles will not have to pay for driving in the CAZ. These vehicles are exempt from the charge, and there are both national and local exemptions.
You don’t have to pay a charge in any CAZ in the UK if you have:
- a vehicle that’s ultra low emission
- a disabled passenger tax class vehicle
- a disabled tax class vehicle
- a military vehicle
- a historic vehicle
- a vehicle retrofitted with technology accredited by the Clean Vehicle Retrofit Accreditation Scheme (CVRAS)
- certain types of agricultural vehicles
In Portsmouth, there are also some exemptions for some specialist vehicles. You may also be able to apply for a ‘sunset period’. This allows you more time to upgrade or retrofit your non-compliant vehicle before having to pay the CAZ charge. You’ll need to apply for local exemptions and sunset periods.